At its best, Canadian whisky is a smooth, accessible spirit that makes for easy sipping. But with so many brands on the market, it can be hard to know where to start. That’s why we’ve put together a list of five of the best Canadian whiskies, perfect for any occasion. So whether you’re looking for a gift, planning a party, or just want to stock your home bar, read on for our top picks.
1. Crown Royal
A classic choice, Crown Royal has been produced in Canada since 1939. Crown Royal is made using a blend of 50 different whiskies, giving it a complex flavor that is perfect for those who enjoy a little bit of everything.
2. Alberta Premium
Alberta Premium is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a budget-friendly option. Unfortunately, this whisky is only available in Canada, so it’s perfect for patriotic sippers. But, many online retailers ship now to different countries, so you can enjoy a taste of home no matter where you are.
3. Pendleton Director Reserve
Pendleton is a relative newcomer to the Canadian whisky scene, but its Director Reserve quickly became a favorite. This whisky uses unique rye, wheat, and barley blend, resulting in a smooth, slightly sweet spirit.
4. Canadian Club
Canadian Club is one of the most well-known Canadian whiskies, and for a good reason. It’s a versatile spirit that can be enjoyed on its own or used in cocktails. And, with various expressions available, there’s something for every Canadian Club fan.
5. Forty Creek Barrel Select
Another great choice for those who like their whisky on the sweeter side, Forty Creek Barrel Select is made using a blend of corn, rye, and wheat whiskies. The result is a smooth spirit with notes of vanilla and caramel.
6. Wiser 18-Year-Old
For those special occasions when you want to splurge, Wisers 18-Year-Old is definitely worth the investment. This award-winning whisky has been aged for 18 years in white oak barrels, resulting in a rich flavor with hints of fruit and spice.
7. Forty Creek Heart of Gold
Rounding out our list is Forty Creek Heart of Gold. This whisky is made using a blend of corn, rye, and wheat whiskies, just like Forty Creek Barrel Select. But, it’s also got a bit of unaged whisky in the mix, giving it a unique flavor that’s perfect for sipping.
How Can You Enjoy Canadian Whisky?
Now that you know a little bit more about some of the best Canadian whiskies, it’s time to start enjoying them. Here are a few of our favorite ways to drink Canadian whisky:
- On the rocks: When drinking Canadian whisky neat, the key is to start with a high-quality spirit. We recommend using one of the whiskies from our list above. Simply pour it into a glass with ice and enjoy.
- In a cocktail: Canadian whisky is a great choice for cocktails. Its smooth flavor can be used in various drinks, from the classic Canadian Club and Coke to more sophisticated concoctions.
- In a punch: A Canadian whisky punch is a great way to keep your guests entertained if you’re planning a party. Simply mix Canadian whisky with fruit juice, lemonade, or another mixer of your choice. Then, add a few dashes of bitters and some fruit for garnish.
- In coffee: For a winter-warming twist on your morning coffee, try adding a shot of Canadian whisky. We recommend using a coffee with notes of chocolate or caramel to complement the whisky flavors.
What To Do With the Rest of Your Bottle
If you find yourself with a bit of extra Canadian whisky, don’t worry. There are plenty of ways to put it to good use. Here are a few of our favorites:
- In baked goods: Canadian whisky makes a great addition to baked goods. Add it to brownies, cookies, or even cake for a boozy twist.
- In marinades: It is an excellent choice for marinating meat. The whisky will help to tenderize the meat and add a delicious flavor.
- In glazes: A Canadian whisky glaze is the perfect way to finish off a dish. Simply mix Canadian whisky with sugar and a bit of water or juice, then brush it on whatever you’re cooking.
- As a gift: It makes an excellent gift for the whisky lover in your life. Whether you bottle your blend or give them a single malt, they will appreciate it.
So there you have it: seven of the best Canadian whiskies, plus some tips on how to enjoy them. Do you have a favorite or one that you can’t wait to try? Let us know in the comments!